NOMINALIZATION AND -ING FORMS
1. nominalization: (a) write ® writing, buy ® buyer
(b) They rejected my complaint Þ their rejecting my complaint, their rejection of my complaint
2. William conquered England Þ William's conquest of England; The residents protested angrily Þ the residents' angry protests
3. Her statement is true Þ the truth of her statement
4. the critics' hostile reception of the play, the play's hostile reception by the critics
5. -ing: N ---------- V
| | Quirk | Traditional grammar |
| (a) Brown's paintings of his daughter | deverbal noun | deverbal noun |
| (b) Brown's deft painting of his daughter is a delight to watch | verbal noun | verbal noun |
| (c) I dislike Brown's painting his daughter | participle | gerund / verbal noun |
| (d) I dislike Brown painting his daughter | participle | half gerund / fused participle |
| (e) Brown painting his daughter that day, I decided to go for a walk | participle | (present) participle |
| (f) The man painting the girl is Brown | participle | (present) participle |
| (g) Brown is painting his daughter | participle | (present) participle |
6. difference between (a) deverbal nouns and (b) verbal nouns:
deverbal noun: concrete (pictures, photos) « verbal noun: abstract (representation, depiction)
deverbal noun: painting, building, destruction « verbal noun: painting
7. difference between (b) verbal nouns and (c) the gerund:
The playing of ball games is prohibited. (verbal noun) « Playing ball games is not allowed. (gerund)
The quick reading of a book is not useful. (verbal noun) « Reading a book quickly is not useful. (gerund)
8. ambiguity:
I do not like the boy talking to her. (fused participle: 'I do not like the fact that the boy talks to her' or nonfinite postmodifier: 'I do not like the boy who is talking to her')
I did not like his writing. (gerund: 'I did not like the fact that he wrote' or deverbal noun: 'I did not like what he wrote')
9. gerund: verbal and nominal
They appreciate my visiting their parents regularly.
He denies having told anyone. I can't help not being amused by these silly jokes.
10. gerund and participle:
| function/position | gerund | -ing participle |
| subject | Smoking is bad for you | |
| adverbial | | She walked out of the room smoking |
| subject complement | My hobby is reading | John has become very boring (participial adjective) |
| be + | My hobby is reading | You’re frightening me (participle) Such a prospect is frightening (participial adjective) |
| verb + | Someone suggested going for a walk | People ran screaming for help |
| verb + noun phrase + | I dislike Tom's watching television | I caught someone trying to take my drink |
| | I dislike Tom watching television | |
| preposition + | I did it without thinking | |
| noun + | | It was a mixture consisting of oil and vinegar |
| there + be + no + | There is no doubting them now | |
| + noun | sleeping pill | sleeping child |
A criterion that can help us in the case of -ing + noun: paraphrase with Verb ® participle: the travelling public 'the public that travels'; paraphrase with the nominal use of the -ing form ® gerund: a travelling rug 'a rug for travelling (with)'
11. Quirk's arguments for using the term "-ing participle" to cover gerunds and participles:
Painting a child is difficult. (gerund) BUT: Origin: Verbal noun and Gerund: -ung/-ing
Painting a child that morning, I quite forgot the time. (participle) Participle: -ende/-inde/-ande
To paint a child is difficult. (infinitive)
To paint a child, I bought a new canvas. (infinitive)




0 Comments Received
Leave A Reply