Verbs and their relation to “fixed” prepositions.

Verbs are actually one of the most difficult tasks to master in English language. Some are simple, others are a little more challenging, especially those that require an idiomatic or “fixed” preposition which should be learned from memory.

Here, we can see some examples:

Operate ON someone

a) Agree ON something but WITH somebody.

b) Talk WITH/ TO someone ABOUT…

c) Dream OF/ABOUT…

d) Think OF/ ABOUT…

e) Insist ON…

f) Work ON something.

g) Wait FOR…

h) Participate IN...

i) Succeed IN something.

j) Worry ABOUT someone/something.

k) Escape FROM a place/ someone.

l) Tell someone ABOUT something.

m) Speak ON/ ABOUT a matter WITH someone.

n) Hear OF someone ABOUT something.

o) Interest IN something/someone

p) Believe IN someone/something.

q) Care ABOUT/OF someone/ something.

r) Belong TO someone/something.

s) Ask someone FOR something

t) Compare WITH/TO

u) Laugh AT someone ABOUT something.

v) Decide ON something/ AGAINST something.

w) Listen TO someone/something.

x) Arrive IN/AT a place. IN= Cities and towns AT= bus stop, train station.

y) Differ FROM something.

z) Depend ON something.

aa) Apology FOR something.

bb) Sorry FOR something … To be sorry FOR someone ABOUT something.

cc) Remind OF something

dd) Acuse someone OF something.

ee) Bump INTO someone.

ff) Blame someone OF something.

gg) Pay FOR a debt.

hh) Rely ON

ii) Comment ON.

jj) Remind someone OF something.

Activity.

1- With the examples above, fill in the gaps by adding the correct preposition to the verbs. Can you see a difference between “heard of and hear about? Provide an example.

1) In Malasya there are a lot of people who believe_______different gods.

2) I really love to go to “Jokes show” I laughed______the humorist all night long.

3) I’ve heard______Richard a couple of time before, but I don’t know where he is.

4) Yesterday, It was a coincidence that I had bumped_______her.

5) I dream_____being a journalist and go all over the world reporting what I see.

6) The little girl was standing by my side smiling______ me in her first day of classes.

7) The congressmen congratulated him_____the important measures taken.

8) Hundreds of families’ suffered_____the earthquake in Chile.

9) Politicians seem to be always trying to blame their oppositors______their actions.

10) The little boy warned his mother _______a spider that was climbing the wall.

11) A student depends______their notes and books to be successful.

12) A thief couldn’t manage to escape______the police in Viña del Mar.

13) I never heard Thomas speak_______it.

14) When I was in the hotel I knew I had been charged_____a service I hadn’t asked____

15) Please, under instruction, privates should concentrate______what they’ve learned.

16) My friends have shown to be very supportive, one can rely_____them.

17) She borrowed the only book available_______the library.

18) He preferred an IPOD______a Play Station when we went_____shopping.

19) Let me explain this______you.

20) We regard our clients______special prices.

21) The mob has responded badly_______what the authority states.

21) My latest book is based______a little boy’s adventure across a desert.

22) Doctors should operate_____my wife within ten days.

23) Mary never agrees_____me when it comes to choose a movie.

24) A teacher commented_____your job in other classroom, which is a good sign.

25) All this story reminds Stephen______his old times in Poland.

26) The inmates weren’t sentenced______death row.

27) Don’t shout_____, you see! I’m just next to you!

28) I couldn’t bring 15 burgers because I was charged a lot of bugs______them

29) He’s thought too much______that issue lately.

30) The Spaniards arrived_____Chile 500 years ago.

31) All this information provided you_____very useful knowledge of the subject.

31) It’s very easy to blame someone______your mistakes.

32) We’ve included all what’s required______a single bill.

33) Mom prevented her son_____ drinking too much alcohol.

34) At first, the men stared____ us as if they were owned.

35) They’ve always dreamed_____being artists.